Information Design - Exercises

21/9/2026 - //2026
Week 1 - Week 9
Ng Jia Ern 0363033
Information Design
Exercises


TABLE OF CONTENTS

1.  MODULE INFORMATION BOOKLET (MIB)

2.  LECTURES & ACTIVITIES
Week 1 - Week 2 - Week 3 - Week 4 - Week 5

3.  PROGRESSION

3.1 Quantify Data & Visualize Data
3.2 L.A.T.C.H.
3.3 Vector Animation
3.4 Chart Animation

4.  FINAL

4.1 Quantify Data & Visualize Data
4.2  L.A.T.C.H.
4.3 Vector Animation
4.4 Chart Animation

5.  REFLECTION


1.  MODULE INFORMATION BOOKLET (MIB)



2.  LECTURES & ACTIVITIES

Week 1

Lecture

During Week 1, Mr. Martin introduced us to the Information Design module and explained what we would be learning throughout the semester. He briefed us on the exercises and project requirements and showed us examples of senior students’ work. This helped us understand the expected outcomes and gave us a clearer overview of information design.

He also introduced Adobe After Effects and demonstrated the basic process of creating animations. The exercises assigned for this week were Quantify & Visualize Data and Animation.

Class Activity – After Effects Animation

During the class activity, we practised using Adobe After Effects to create simple vector animations. We first downloaded the vector elements provided by Mr. Martin and opened them in Adobe Illustrator.

Before starting the animation, I separated the different elements into individual layers in Adobe Illustrator and renamed each layer according to the element. This made it easier to identify and manage the layers after importing the Illustrator file into Adobe After Effects.

Fig. 1. Separating the vector elements into individual layers in Adobe Illustrator

After importing the file into After Effects, we started animating the characters individually, including the woman, the sitting man, and the standing man. I added keyframes to control their positions and movements and applied Easy Ease to make the transitions smoother.

I also used the Graph Editor to adjust both the Speed Graph and Value Graph of the keyframes. By changing the curves, I was able to control the acceleration and deceleration of the movements, making the animation feel smoother, more natural, and less mechanical.

Fig. 2. Adjusting the animation timing and motion using keyframes, Easy Ease, and the Graph Editor in Adobe After Effects.

After adjusting the timing, speed curves, and movements of each element, I completed the animation. Through this activity, I learned the basic workflow between Adobe Illustrator and Adobe After Effects, as well as how layer organisation, keyframes, easing, and graph curves can be used to create smoother and more controlled vector animations.

Fig. 3. Final outcome of the completed vector animation in Adobe After Effects.


3.  PROGRESSION

3.1 Quantify Data & Visualize Data

Exercise 1: Quantify & Visualize Data

For Exercise 1, we were required to choose a group of objects, count and organize them, and present the information in a clear and visually interesting way. The objects had to be sorted according to relevant categories, then arranged into a layout or chart that could communicate the quantity and data effectively.

For my exercise, I used a set of colourful board game pieces that I found at home.





 I first sorted the pieces according to their colour and type so that the data could be identified more clearly.

Fig. 1. The game pieces were sorted according to colour and type before being arranged for data presentation.

After sorting the pieces, I arranged them neatly into groups to show the quantity of each category. This version focused more on data sorting and arrangement, where the information was presented in a structured and organized way.

Fig. 2. The game pieces arranged systematically based on their categories for data sorting and arrangement.

For the visual presentation, I rearranged the pieces into a more creative composition while still keeping the quantity of each group visible. I also included a simple chart beside the arrangement to make the comparison between the different colours and types easier to understand.

Final Visual Presentation:

Fig. 3. Final visual presentation of the quantified game pieces, combining the physical arrangement with a chart to communicate the data more clearly.

3.3 Vector Animation 

Exercise 3: Vector / Character Animation

For Exercise 3, we were required to create a simple animation based on a vector file assigned by Mr. Martin. Each student was given a different scene, and I was assigned Scene C.

I first opened the assigned vector file in Adobe Illustrator and checked the existing elements in the scene. I then separated and renamed the necessary elements into different layers so that they could be identified and animated more easily after importing the file into Adobe After Effects.

Fig. 1. Scene C vector file prepared in Adobe Illustrator with the elements separated into different layers.
After importing the file into Adobe After Effects, I animated the individual elements by adding keyframes to their position, rotation, and other relevant properties. I also adjusted the timing and easing of the keyframes to make the movements appear smoother and more natural.

Fig. 2. Animating the elements using keyframes in Adobe After Effects.


After refining the timing and movement of each element, I completed the final animation for Scene C.

Final animated outcome:

Fig. 3. Final animated outcome