Character Design - Task 1: Personification, big idea

22/4/2024 - 13/5/2024
Week 1 - Week 4
Ng Jia Ern 0363033
Character Design
Task 1: Personification, big idea


INSTRUCTION


TASK1: Personification, big idea

Overview

In Task 1, we will begin developing an original character (OC) for the game "Genshin Impact," focusing on creating a hero or villain that fits seamlessly into the game's narrative and world. 

We aim to establish the character's background, visual style, and design progression.


1. Research:

First, we start with studying the Genshin Impact game's lore, world-building and existing character designs.

Overview of Genshin Impact

"Genshin Impact" is an open-world action RPG developed by miHoYo (HoYoverse). The game is set in the fantasy world of Teyvat, which is divided into seven nations, each associated with a different element and ruled by a god. Players control a character known as the Traveler, who journeys through Teyvat in search of their lost sibling and unravels the mysteries of the world along the way.


Currently, Genshin Impact has four nations available for exploration which are Mondstadt, Liyue, Inazuma, Sumeru, and Fontaine.

1. Mondstadt (Wind)

-Inspired by medieval Europe, particularly Germany.
-Known for its freedom and worship of the Anemo Archon, Barbatos (Venti).


2. Liyue (Geo)
-Inspired by ancient China.
-Ruled by the Geo Archon, Zhongli, known for its contracts and commerce.

3. Inazuma (Electro)
-Inspired by feudal Japan.
-Governed by the Electro Archon, Raiden Shogun, known for its strict isolationism and the Vision Hunt Decree.

4. Sumeru (Dendro)
-Inspired by Middle Eastern and South Asian cultures.
-Ruled by the Dendro Archon, Nahida, and known for its pursuit of knowledge and wisdom.


5. Fontaine (Hydro)
-Inspired by France.
-Ruled by the Hydro Archon, Focalors (Furina), associated with justice and technology.


In Genshin Impact, each character obtains their Vision through a specific turning point or catalyst in their life. Here are some examples:


2. Ideation:


I chose Cryo as my character element because I think The Cryo element's vision of rebellion against one's fate is a perfect fit for my character's backstory, similar to how Eula rebels against her own lineage.

I also chose to be a Fontaine character because Fontaine is a place rich in performing arts, such as Lyney and Lynette's magic stage and the opera house where Furina and Neuvillette hold trials, it fits perfectly with the thematic elements of my character who like to become an idol.

And I also found out that Lolita fashion origin from France's Rococo time. So I will also refer to France's noble fashion for my character. 


3. Visual Reference

Early Ideas Reference:
Since I get inspiration from reference images and sketches when I am drawing halfway, my initial ideas will differ from the final concepts.

Lolita Dress reference:
Lolita dresses usually come with very puffy skirts, while the bodice is more fitted.

Maybe can draw two types of dress one long dress and one short dress. short dresses (default) are suitable for dancing on stage.

I have also found some hairstyle and accessories references.

After consultation with Ms Anis on Week 3, she suggested that maybe use a microphone as a weapon since her weapon is catalyst, and when she uses skill.


Existing Character Reference:
Barbara
She is an idol from Mondstadt, known for her healing abilities and cheerful personality.

Nilou
She is an dancer from Sumeru



4. Sketches


When I designed my characters, I found out that my characters lacked motifs, and didn't have a significant identity.

So, I created another mood board to confirm a clearer direction for my character design.


I would like to try on Butterfly. Icy butterfly theme for my character. like the no.8 silhouette.
 
because I found out that butterflies represent bravery, hope and rebirth. and also a symbol of change and new beginnings. show that the character is brave to step out of the bondage of family, and chase her dream as an idol.

Final Sketches:





Comments